Saturday, January 10, 2009

Obama is smarter than I am

I never doubted it, but Obama keeps proving not only how intelligent he is but what political wisdom he has.

I was so angry at HolyJoe Lieberman that I wanted the Democratic caucus to strip him of his important committee chairmanship. And I didn't care if he joined the Republican caucus. But Obama put in a good word for him, and he stayed. Then it became obvious how politically astute this was. Lieberman now owes him, big time.

Then Obama was quick to put McCain's campaign smears behind them and reach out to him in a collegial way, asking for his help. I was so angry and disgusted with McCain that I was ready to heep bitter scorn on him for the rest of his days. But now McCain is on TV praising Obama and calling on his fellow Republicans to work with him instead of trying to score political points. And he specifically praised his national security team appointees and gave highest praise for Leon Panetta as head of CIA.

Lieberman and McCain together will be able to bring along some other moderates, like Susan Collins, Olympia Snow, as well as their croney Lindsey Graham some of the time.

Eureka! On some very important issues, we may have the 60th vote, and more, to get some vital legislation passed.

Lieberman gets to redeem himself; McCain gets to reclaim his reputation as a bipartisan maverick. And it gives the Democrats the strength to do what needs to be done.

It's so refreshing to have a president who is smarter than I am.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment