Friday, September 4, 2009

Obama needs to channel FDR

Signals coming out of the White House are that progressives should prepare to be disappointed after Obama's speech to Congress next Wednesday. In short, it sounds like he is ready to abandon the public option. One quote from an insider: "It's so important to get a deal that [Obama] will do almost anything it takes to get one."

Almost anything -- except fight for it. People are looking back at what FDR had to do to get all his reforms in place. He didn't try to get bipartisan support. He pushed ahead with his partisan majority and enjoyed doing it. He didn't try to be a consensus builder; he was divisive and pushed the entrenched conservatives out of the way -- in order to get the job done he had been elected to do.

I think it's just not in Obama's nature to do that. He does also have an obstacle that I don't think FDR had: the 60 votes required to move controversial legislation in the Senate.

It's not just that giving up the public option is bad policy because it removes one of the most important ways to control health care costs. It's giving in to the deplorable tactics the opponents have used to kill good legislation. Rewarding bad behavior is bad policy.

Yes, I will be greatly disappointed.

Ralph

3 comments:

  1. I'm just finishing one of the key reasons for FDR's success it's a new book about Frances Perkins called "The Woman Behind the New Deal The Life of Frances Perkins FDR'S Secretary of Labor and His Moral Conscience". I hope President Obama reads this book to see how FDR was able to pass Social Security, unemployment insurance, safety in the workplace and so much more. I've been trying to figure out who could help Obama.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sticking with Obama, no matter how disappointed I am in his coming speech. He's not FDR. But the FDR backlash is still with us. The American Enterprise Institute, The Hoover Institute, the Family, etc. - they're all leftovers from the FDR hatred in the 1930's.

    In 1936 before his second campaign, FDR said: "Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are united in their hate for me, and I welcome their hatred."

    Well, they're still there with their hatred. Obama is trying to find a consensus where we think none exists. We want him to take up the Progressive Banner and vanquish the foes. The foes want him to fight back like FDR did, because it keeps them alive - gives them their meme for all times. I want him to keep trying to do what he set out to do. I'm not so worried about disillusioned Liberals like us. I'm worried about the decent middle Americans that fell for this malarkey and voted for Bush/Cheney twice. If Obama gives up the Public Option, I'll be sad. But I think it's more important that he stay the Obama course than to win by force. Neither FDR nor LBJ captured the heartland of America - the people who live in our interior. Maybe he can engage them at last.

    I don't think Obama is a Carter. He's got more sense about people. I'd rather see him lose a few rounds than change. What he wants is the right thing, whether we like it or not. Sometimes, you have to lose to win. The only dangers I see is that he will become discouraged, or be shot.

    So, I have to live with my naivity. Hopefully, this time it might go my way...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mickey, you've almost convinced me. I just want him to be successful in what he's trying to do -- because I am convinced that he wants to do what needs to be done. I keep losing faith, however, when he seems to settle too easily. And I'm especially concerned that it not seem that the compaign of lies and distortions has won.

    But you may be seeing the larger picture. I hope so.

    ReplyDelete