Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Obama's school speech

Despite the hysteria about Obama's talk to the school children, whipped up by you know who, it seems that even some Republicans are thinking their fringe went too far (demonstrably so, I would say.)

Both Newt Gingrich and Laura Bush have come out as supportive. Gingrich was particularly complimentary and recommended that all teachers and parents listen to it too.

Of course. What did they really expect? The whole thing was silly -- but it only adds to the dangerous image the crazies are trying to construct of Obama in people's minds.

I went to a Labor Day party in Big Canoe (north GA mountains). My host, who has an Obama bumper sticker on his truck, showed me a note someone put on his windshield at the grocery store. "Thank you for ruining our country by voting for Obama."

This really gets frightening when you realize the number of death threats coming out of all this.

Ralph

1 comment:

  1. Last week [Wednesday] there was a candle light vigil at the Jasper Courthouse for healthcare. Sharon went [60 people!]. I went to another meeting that Sharon usually attends too. Her friend [lives in Big Canoe] asked about her. I told her where Sharon was. She said, "Well I sure didn't vote for Obama! Why a friend sent me an Obama t-shirt. I sure couldn't wear it in Big Canoe!"

    In South Dakota, our lifelong friends mentioned nothing. I think they were being nice. My read is that they are in a hell of a bind. They think Obama is the long feared 60's Liberal come to take their stuff. And they know that the Bush Administration blew it big time. So when they are together, they shake their heads and worry together with the anti-Obama meme. When they're in mixed company, they are silent. When they are alone with themselves, they don't know what to think, so they think about something else. It's why I think it's right for him to keep on trying to find a way to allow them to respect him. I just don't know if it can be done. There's nothing to do except wait for the crisis that will make or break him. It won't be Health Care. It'll have to be something else that comes along.

    ReplyDelete