Thursday, February 4, 2010

Silly me

Hi, folks. My day job as Director of the Emory Psychoanalytic Institute has keep me busy the past week, and I haven't had time to digest the news -- just headlines, mostly.

Today, a headline on Huffington Post next to a picture of John Boehner blared: "GOP Leader Tells Wall Street CEO: Pay Us For Our Services."

My first thought was that, by "us," he meant taxpayers who had bailed them out and that he was asking them to repay the bailout money.

Silly me.

He meant that CEO's had been contributing to Democratic leaders. And he wants them to recognize that it's Republicans who stood up to Obama's efforts to curb pay and impose new regulations and that they should be rewarded with campaign contributions. He's banking on buyer's remorse from those who had contributed to Democrats.

Me thinks he doth protest too much. Wall Street got plenty for the money they contributed to Blue Dog Dems in the House and to the conservatives on the Senate Finance Committee.

Oh, well. It was a brief hope that Boehner (he whose face always has that constipated scowl) had the taxpayers' interests in mind. Silly me.

Ralph

5 comments:

  1. I can't even believe, given the tenor of the times, that he would come forward and boast about how Republicans helped Wall Street by trying to prevent regulations and limits on pay raises.

    Then again a Repub(name escapes me) admitted on Chris Matthews' Hardball that his 'plan' to balance the deficit consisted of eliminating Medicare and Social Secuirty for everyone currently 55 and younger.

    Yet not one peep came from the Republicans eager to scream at Democrats to 'Keep your hands off my medicare'.

    Or from Democrats for that matter.

    The problem is, Republicans can say or do anything and they're not held accountable by their supporters.

    And wasn't it heartening, for people like you and I who live in the South, to see that 39% of Republicans think Obama wants Al Queda to destroy us - and most of those politicians are from the South.
    richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I am so proud (please don't overlook the dripping irony) of my Georgia Senator Saxby Chambliss who, along with John McCain, fulminated yesterday against the idea of ending DA/DT because it "has been effective" and because we are fighting two wars and it's not the right time to upset the system.

    That argument bounces back on them (but of course it's lost on them and their supporters) that thousands of valuable service people have been discharged during this time for no reason other than their homosexuality was exposed -- sometimes by a jealous ex-lover.

    And some 30 or so of those discharged have been valued Arab linguistics at a time when WE ARE FIGHTING TWO WARS IN THE ARAB WORLD AND DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ARAB TRANSLATORS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, you guys sound like you're not for the Republicans anymore. Wait til you seen Paul Ryan's budget proposals [R-WI]?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right. I used to believe they stood for something. Now I just believe they stand in the way of anything, anything at all, if it comes from Obama.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the Republicans? I guess if your definition of being 'for Republicans' includes asking accountability of a candidate who spoke like Che Guevera then governed like George Bush is being 'for the Republicans' I'm guilty.

    I went through my Red phase in the 1960s and the one thing I do think they had right philosophically(although implemented in a horrendously extreme and oppressive way) was self-analysis, always checking to make sure you live up to what you claim to believe.

    For the Republicans? Don't make me send you to a re-education camp.

    Comrades,
    richard

    ReplyDelete