Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Does money really matter?

The Washington Post reports on a survey done by OpenSecrets.org that compiles campaign contributions (through 2009) from the health industry to each individual member of the House, along with their party affiliations, how they voted on the original health care reform bill, and how they lean on the upcoming vote.

Interest results -- not quite what I expected. Although my ranting about money was mostly when the Senate bill was dragging on, and this survey is of the House, it does challenge my assumptions.

I looked at those who have received more than $1 million -- and it might be somewhat different if you considered all House members who got smaller amounts; but I didn't want to put that much time into it.

Of those who received more than $1M:

20 were Republicans, and 20 voted no last year and lean no on the upcoming vote.

20 were Democrats, and 19 voted yes, 1 no last year; 16 lean yes, 4 undecided.

Three House members received more than $3 million. All are Democrats and all voted yes.

What does it mean? I'm not sure. Health care lobbyists like to spread their money around in hopes of getting slight favors from those in power? Maybe money doesn't control the votes as much as I had assumed.

What I'd like to see is comparable data on those conservative Senate Democrats like Ben Nelson, Blanche Lincoln, Kent Conrad, and Max Baucus before I relent on my anti-lobbying-money rant.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment