Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Respect for Hillary

I admit that, much as I like Bill Clinton and think he's the most talented politician in generations (even though flawed in his zipper control), I never really much warmed up to Hillary. She was an OK first lady, and she advanced the idea that a smart, tough woman could make it in the man's world of top level politics.

However, I liked her less and less during the campaign against Obama, and I liked even less her choices in those who ran her campaign and influenced her decisions. And I thought it's not a good sign when a candidate makes bad choices like that.

But, since she accepted Obama's invitiation (and his apparent strong encouragement) to be his Secretary of State, I have gained tremendous respect for her. That was only enhanced by two news blurbs today: one was her response to the rumors started by Bob Woodward that she and Biden will swap places for the 2012 election, with her as VP and him as SoS; the other was her answering a question about agreeing to join Obama's cabinet. From HuffingtonPost:
She also told the story how President Obama called her to Chicago to ask her to be his Secretary of State, calling it "one of the hardest professional decisions I've ever made."

"It worked out well," Clinton told her audience. "We have a wonderful working relationship" she said, acknowledging that there was a lot of chatter about whether the two would would be able to work together.

Clinton says it's proven to be a valuable lesson that she hopes to impart to other world leaders.

"I say look I spent a year and a half trying to win and to beat President Obama. I was not successful. It was a really hard-fought campaign, our supporters said a lot of nasty things about each of us... But at the end of the day when the president asked me to serve with him and for our country I agreed to do that because we both love our country. And it's fascinating how so many political leaders and media leaders in these various countries look so surprised. And I really force them to think about what it takes to overcome the back and forth..."
Personally, I would now be happy with her as VP -- and perhaps as President in 2016. But the current arrangement is also just fine -- probably the least of the things Obama needs to worry about right now. Bob Woodward is trying to whomp up some news to help sell his new book.

Ralph

2 comments:

  1. She handled it really well. But it makes sense that Obama dump Biden - who I feel was vastly underappreciated, and underutilized - for Hillary. There is an enthusiasm gap. Obama will nto draw the same numbers, with the same enthusiasm as last time. Hillary will mobilize a lot of women voters who might otherwise jump ship.

    We need something, because they other side is determinedly not going to vote on the basis of considered positions. This comes from a young woman in California explaining why she would vote for any Christine O'Donnell or any Tea Party candidate.

    I'd don't really care if all the rumors are true either. My goal & desire is to throw out old school bring in new then sort it out. The newbees will know their stay is tenuous, dependent on their ability to LISTEN to the voice of the people.

    two dozen posters have tried to reason with her, and this is where she ends up. She is not one of the stupid people.

    You can fight an election against someone who makes their decisions this way.
    richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant you 'can't' fight an election against someone who makes their decisions this way.

    So you have to draw support outside the base of positions and arguments.
    richard

    ReplyDelete