Monday, August 29, 2011

Obama's new economics adviser

President Obama is set to announce his new Chair of the White House Council of Economic Advisers: Alan Krueger, PhD, Princeton Professor of Economics and Public Affairs. I haven't seen any second-guessers yet, but to me it looks like a stellar appointment -- and definitely a move away from Wall Street types, Larry Summers and Timothy Geithner.

Krueger has his PhD from Harvard, and he served as the Chief Economist for the U. S. Department of Labor in 1994-95 -- which was when Robert Reich was Secretary of Labor. What Reich thinks of him now, I don't know. But at least Obama has chosen someone whose primary focus is on the work force and not on corporate profit interests.

From his Princeton bio sketch:

"His primary research and teaching interests are in the general areas of labor economics, industrial relations, and social insurance. His current research projects include an examination of disability and the work force; a study of the relationship between school quality and labor market success; a study of the U.S. employment miracle; and an analysis of the impact of technological change on the labor market. . . . He writes a monthly column on economics for the New York Times."

Sounds good to me.

Ralph


2 comments:

  1. I love your blog and haven't posted on here yet because I don't necessarily have any useful information or opinion to add. So I figured I would just give you a thumbs up by saying I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks and welcome. Please feel free to post comments and, if you wish, identify yourself.

    ReplyDelete