Friday, February 24, 2012

If they'd only listen to me #2

Two days ago I wrote about the hairstylist in Santa Fe who declined to cut the governor's hair because of her opposition to gay marriage.   And I renewed my call for a strike of all the wedding-providing service industry to not put on any more weddings until marriage equality is a reality.

Here's a followup.  Antonio Darden says he has received an outpouring of support "beyond belief," from as far away as Hong Kong.   Other hairstylists, including one from Toronto, have told him they are joining him and will not accept clients who publicly oppose gay marriage.

He may be an unlikely leader, but he's on the right track.  Here's what he said:
"It makes me think more, why don’t gay people, because of the service industry we provide, start doing the same thing and get our rights? We are not asking for something outrageous. . . .   "I do believe we should be able to refuse the service.  If our equal rights are being violated, I think I should refuse the service."
As the drag queens led the Stonewall uprisings, maybe the hairstylists will spearhead the marriage activism.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment