Monday, October 8, 2012

It's the comedians who tell the truth

I've said it many times:   in this political climate, it's the comedians who tell the truth.  Cases in point:   Jon Stewart, Steve Colbert, and Bill Maher.

I've just been watching a clip of Bill Maher interview Frank Luntz, the conservative pollster and author of Words That Work, in which he advises Republicans on key words to use to trash their opponents or enhalo their friends, like saying "job creators" instead of "rich people."

It turns out he's a pretty good comedian too, matching wits with Maher.  That doesn't mean he is trustworthy:  some comedians lie, too.

Maher began by quoting Luntz's earlier statement "Show me the first 90 seconds of the debate, and I'll tell you who's going to win the presidency" -- and he asked, given that Romney had a great night in the first debate, to tell him who's going to win.

Luntz said, in all seriousness (I think), "At this point, I still think Barack Obama."

There were comedic moments, where truth was told.  The following are some random moments, not connected.

Luntz, referring to the infamous "1%":  "I realized that I want to be in the 2%, because then I can shout at the 1% and still get all the benefits."

Maher:  "It's widely known that you are evil.  And you are evil because you invent words to get stupid people to vote against their own interests."

Luntz, referring to the dysfunctional Congress:  "They have a 10% approval rating.  Gaddafi had a 14%  approval rating.  And that's among the people who killed him."

Maher:  "The difference between rich Democrats and rich Republicans is that rich Democrats vote against their best interests for the good of the country."

I think this last one is one of the best political comments of the season.  See the full interview at:
http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4333289319925536569#editor/target=post;postID=3695979140042271864

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment