Thursday, November 22, 2012

A tradition and an innovation

Thanksgiving Day certainly has its traditions, and we tend to resist changing them.   There was even an online poll for people to choose their favorite side dishes for the Thanksgiving meal.   They constructed it like a basketball playoff grid: choices are paired off, the winner of each pair then moves to the next tier of choice until an overall favorite is chosen.

At the time I looked, sweet potato souffle had beaten mashed potatoes, green bean casserole had beaten mac and cheese, and dressing had beaten . . .  something.  I forget what.  I can't even think of anything that could rival dressing.   Some people call it stuffing, because they cook it inside the turkey.    Southern dressing has to be cooked in its own pan.

So I will follow tradition and say some things I'm thankful for:   That the Supreme Court is safe from Republican hands for another four years.  That Obama will have the chance to become the great president he is capable of being.  That the American people have chosen sanity, reason, and compassion over fantasy, lies, and stinginess.  That the billionaires couldn't buy the election.   That trying to keep people from voting backfired and brought them out in bigger droves.

I am also eternally grateful to the geniuses who masterminded the Obama campaign:   David Axelrod, David Plouffe, and Jim Messina.   And to Hillary Clinton, who graciously joined the Obama team and has far surpassed my expectations as Secretary of State.   The presidency in 2016 is hers if she wants it.  Dream ticket for 2016:   Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Warren -- foreign policy expert and scourge of Wall Street.  What a team.

And I am especially thankful for the Obama family, who have occupied the White House as First Family with dignity, grace, and openness.  And for my own family and friends who add support and richness to my life.

The innovation?   Borrowing a tradition from New Year's Day, I herewith make a Thanksgiving resolution.   I will make an honest effort to wean ShrinkRap off of the subject of how bad the Republicans are.  Not going cold turkey, mind you, and there will probably be a good story or two that must have a comment.  But it's time to start letting that one go.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and to all a good day.   May you ingest just enough tryptophane to give you a lazy afternoon, then an invigorating walk through fallen leaves and crisp air.

And good luck to son-in-law Alan, who is running the half-marathon as I write this.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment