Sunday, December 16, 2012

Gun control laws #2

I know so little about guns -- but that's no less than I want to know.   However, in my ignorance, I may have misstated the situation in my previous post.  It concerns whether "any conceivable law" could have prevented the sale of the type guns the killer used.

More details released today by the police in Newton, CT reveal that both the rifle and the handguns were fitted with "high capacity clips" -- meaning they could fire multiple rounds of shots without reloading.

The rifle, at least, is classified as "semi-automatic."   It is of the type that could get through the loophole in the assault weapons ban that existed from 1994 until it expired in 2004 after conservatives blocked its renewal. 

So it was currently legal -- and it's debatable whether any likely future law will be able to ban such weapons.  If they fix the loopholes, then the law may stop such semi-automatic weapons, until they figure out another loophole, of course.

In my opinion, these guns have no purpose other than to kill lots of people quickly, and they have no place in our modern, urban society.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment