Saturday, December 8, 2012

"Tis the season of . . . Scrooge"

Good old Scrooge, who graces Atlanta stages at this time of year when "A Christmas Carol" is the obligatory production of several theater groups.  So, I decided to drag out my Bah Humbug schtick to go along in honor of Dickens.

Again, it's about dining out in local restaurants.   My complaint today is about over-solicitous wait-staff.   Being attentive to the diner's pleasure/displeasure with what he's been served is a good idea.  But, come on, folks.   Asking once is enough.

There's one place I go frequently that's a step up from fast food franchises but definitely not one of the upscale, tablecloth restaurants.  It seems that the staff have been over-trained to ask, "How's your meal?"

During a quick lunch recently, I was asked not once, not twice, but five times by 3 different people.   Once would have been enough.  It's even worse because, dining alone, I am always reading;  and I hate to be interrupted to answer silly questions.   And, no, I don't want to sit at the counter so I can watch TV.

Look, if I'm obviously absorbed in what I'm reading and not looking around to catch your eye, I'm fine.  The food's all right.   And I don't want to have to answer questions like, "Is everything wonderful?"

Well, no, it's not wonderful.   If I wanted wonderful, I would have gone elsewhere.  I just wanted the four-vegetable plate with no frills.  I don't expect wonderful.  It's ok and it's what I ordered.  Enough, leave me alone.

First, my server came by within seconds of the food being delivered.   "How is everything?"  Well, I hadn't even tasted it yet, but it looked ok and it was what I ordered.   Then the manager came by, going from table to table, asking if everything was all right.   Then the server came back again.   Then someone else -- maybe the boss ??? -- came by asking, "How's your meal?"  Then the server came again as I was mopping up the last morsel -- obviously I wasn't dissatisfied, since I ate every bit.   But he asked anyway.

I have an even bigger complaint.   If you're going to interrupt my reading, at least listen to my answer.   Often, the question is asked -- and it takes a second to get out of the article I'm absorbed in and bring my attention back into the room, and before I can even get a couple of words out -- the reply comes back, "Great."   And he/she moves on to the next table.

Bah humbug !!!!     Leave me alone, already.   That's why I'm dining alone.  Respect my wish not to be constantly interrupted, please.  Besides, really good servers are attentive, but not intrusive;  look my way occasionally in case you're needed, but don't substitute intrusive questions so you can then disappear for five minutes, not to be seen -- even if something is needed.

Ralph

aka Curmudgeon-in-Training

No comments:

Post a Comment