Saturday, March 30, 2013

Evolving views of marriage equality

It becomes clearer all the time:   the most important factor in people's changing their views about marriage equality is getting to know someone on a personal level, seeing them and their lives as individuals rather than the stereotyped images one had held previously.

Among the wave of senators changing their positions, Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) is a prime example.   Here is his explanation, in his own words:
"You know, I spent most of my life – and I’m 56 years of age – on a farm 12 miles west of Big Sandy;  and over the last six years . . .  I’ve gotten to know a lot of different people, a lot of folks that I normally wouldn’t know, . . .  it’s broadening the horizons that I had before that’s gotten me to this point.

"I think it’s just the people you run into, the people you meet, the goodness in people and the example they set. . . .   I just don’t think it’s our role in the government to say no you can’t be married. They love one another just as much as my wife and I love one another or more. And I think it’s important that we give them that ability to be happy."
That's it, exactly.  Thank you, Senator Tester. . . .   Montana?    For marriage equality?   Wow.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment