Monday, July 29, 2013

Amazing support for gay rights by Desmond Tutu and Pope Francis

Desmon Tutu, retired Espicopal archbishop of South Africa, leader of the anti-apartheid movement, and Nobel Peace Prize winner, has made some amazing statements in support of the U. N.'s launch of its gay rights campaign in Africa.
"I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this. . . .  I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven.   No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place. . . .I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level."
That is powerful support from one of the most revered people in the world.

And, given who he is, this much milder statement nevertheless will have tremendous impact.  Pope Francis, on the plane home from a tour of Brazil, was asked by a reporter about gay priests.   He replied:
"Who am I to judge a gay person of good will who seeks the Lord? . . .  You can't marginalize these people?"
Such a contrast to his predecessor, Pope Benedict, who officially barred from the priesthood any man with "deep-seated" homosexuality.

Combine the influence of Desmond Tutu, perhaps the most admired man in Protestantism, and Francis, pope of more than a billion Catholics -- it helps, even as Putin cracks down in Russia and as many African nations tighten their anti-gay laws.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment