Saturday, October 19, 2013

Is Reille's apology sincere ?? Sorry, I'm too cynical to buy that

Notorious from tabloid headlines, John Edwards' one-time mistress, Reille Hunter, now has a new book to promote.   It's her apology for her "bad behavior" and for the hurt she caused others.

All the right words are there . . . "I behaved badly. . . .  I hurt people. . . .  I hurt Elizabeth Edwards. . . .  I am sincerely sorry. . . .   It was not my intention [to hurt anyone]."

Her explanation:   she grew up in a family where both parents cheated on each other.   "I didn't realize how damaged I was."   Then she fell in love and was blinded by love.

Well, OK.   I guess it's better to say the words than not to say them.  But here's why I am cynical.   This apologia arose as an idea for a new book.  Here's the crucial paragraph:
My publisher came up with the idea of me going through my [previous] book and annotating all of my regrets and mistakes. I liked that idea. I thought it was innovative and interesting, but of course the actual execution of that idea turned out to be excruciating. Owning your past mistakes is no day at the beach but I do believe it is an important endeavor to undertake.
Let's hope Reille gained some self-understanding through the process.  I personally would find that more believable if her public statements of apology weren't linked to promotion of her new book.  In fact, the reason for the apology seems to be selling another book.

Ralph

I haven't read the book and am relying on excerpts from reviewers.   What I would also want to see is whether she has grasped the damage her actions could have caused for the entire country, in addition to the Edwards family and especially to his dying wife.    If John Edwards had won the Democratic nomination for president -- and at one point it seemed he had a chance -- the scandal would have come out during the general election and almost surely would have thrown the election to the Republicans.

No comments:

Post a Comment