Monday, February 3, 2014

Happy February

A month without reading newspapers, without constantly scanning the internet, without doing New York Times crosswords or playing online solitaire Mahjong -- and without working -- so what did I do?

I read a lot, wrote a little, walked on the beach, listened to all ten Mahler symphonies in order, and tried to think about the next phase of my life.

Alas, I didn't leave it all behind as much as I had meant to.   I did take my computer so I could write;  and the Wi-Fi connection was so enticing that I wound up hooking up -- and managed to keep up with the headline news, without over-doing the expanded reading and surfing.   So perhaps I learned a little restraint.

But my real trap was Chris Christie's Bridgegate and the bright young news anchors on MSBNC who wrung every ounce out of the story, every night.   Rachel Maddow first reported the story about the suspicious bridge closings last fall.  Then Steve Kornacki broke the developing story of Mayor Dawn Zimmer's accusations.  And every night, Chris Hayes did his usual enthusiastic dissection of the details, followed by Rachel Maddow and then Laurence O'Donnell exploring slightly different slants and wrapping it up.

For a progressive, political newshound like me, it was catnip (except that's mixing animal metaphors, isn't it?  Catnip for a hound??).   Anyway, it was irresistible watching, night after night.

It took restraint to keep from cranking up ShrinkRap to have my say about it too.   But enough time for that.   This story is going to be around for a while.

Glad to be back.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment