Monday, June 9, 2014

Caught napping on the job

One of the few topics that ShrinkRap has stayed up-to-the-minute on is changes in gay rights laws.    So I'm a little chagrined to read today that on last Friday, a federal judge ruled that Wisconsin's law forbidding gay marriage is unconstitutional.

I didn't read a newspaper, watch TV news, or have access to the internet.   But, even so, I was in a meeting the next day and had dinner that night with other GLBT analysts.  No one mentioned it.    That's how common-place the domino-falling aspect of anti-gay-marriage laws has become.

What brought it to my attention today was a small article online saying that the judge had declined the request to put a stay on her ruling, thus allowing immediate issuance of marriage licenses. 

Let's see.   I believe we're up to 20 states + D.C. where it is currently legal.  Another four or five have been overturned by judges but are on stay pending appeal.

What a place to come to -- where the news didn't penetrate my inattention for three days, and even now I've lost count.

Twenty years ago, I never thought I would live to see the day where it was legal in any state.

Wow !!

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment