Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Republicans win big

It's not over yet, in that there are still four more of the toss-up states yet to be decided, but the Republicans are just one state away from taking control of the Senate.

In Georgia, Michelle Nunn lost her senate race, and Jason Carter lost to Nathan Deal, who was re-elected governor.   And they both lost big;  no need even for the runoff.

The turnout was big -- in some states setting records for a midterm election.  So we can't blame it on voter apathy.   And the Republicans' win is shaping up to be big enough that it can't be explained on voter suppression.   People came out to vote.   They chose Republicans.

It's not just the senate.   They're winning re-election of Republican governors:   Nathan Deal in Georgia, Scott Walker in Wisconsin, and others.

All we can say at this point is that it looks like voters have chosen Republicans.   What I don't understand is why.   In days ahead, there will be much discussion of this.

Is it primarily the anti-Obama sentiment?   Is it big money and attack ads?

One thing I do know is that I am not very good at predicting who is going to win.   I didn't expect it to be a big Democratic night;  but I certainly didn't expect it to be a big Republican night either -- and at this point I think we have to say that it is.

I am a little wiser than I was in 1972 when George McGovern was the Democratic presidential candidate.    I stayed up until 2 am, still hoping he could pull out a win when, in fact, he wound up carrying only one state: Massachusetts.

I'm not staying up late tonight to see who wins the senate race in Alaska, hoping we can still keep control of the senate.

Ralph 

Just as I'm about to post this, Iowa has been called for the Republican candidateThat does it.   Republican have won control of the Senate, and Mitch McConnell will be the Senate Majority Leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment