Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The only way to get rid of Trump is to ignore him. . . . . But we can't.

The satirical newspaper The Onion has taken aim and hit a bullseye in diagnosing the Trump Phenomenon.   And they've caught Us all red-handed.   The piece is written as though from Donald Trump himself.  Read on: 

Admit It: You People Want To See How Far This Goes, Don’t You? 

COMMENTARY, July 21, 2015





"The latest polls are out, and just as I predicted, I’m leading the Republican presidential race by a wide margin. You might be wondering how that could be. After all, it’s hardly been a month since I entered the field and I’ve already alienated America’s largest immigrant population, seen dozens of my high-profile business deals implode one after the other, and publicly insulted a national hero’s military service, all while not offering a single viable policy idea. But none of that matters at all, and my candidacy continues to surge forward, because none of you -- not a single one of you—can look away. Not even for a second. 

"Admit it: You people want to see just how far this goes, don’t you? 

"My campaign’s just barely begun and I’ve already got you begging for more. Sure, you can say you oppose me or that you don’t even take me seriously. But let me ask you: How many articles have you read about Ted Cruz lately? How many news segments have you watched on Bobby Jindal?. . . 

 "The thing is, I’ve got all of you eating out of my hand . . . .  And I’m going to keep riding this fascination, this little fixation you have with me as far as you’ll take me. You know I will. . . .  

"And don’t delude yourself into thinking it’s everyone else who wants to watch me do this and you’re somehow above it. You want to see it. You want more. You hearTrumpand your attention snaps to the TV screen right away.


"Don’t think it’s true? Fine. You know what you have to do to make me go away. Just quit paying attention. Stop reading this right now. . . . "

*   *   *
Still have your doubts?   The Huffington Post has compiled a list of 163 talking heads, politicians, public officials, etc. who have commented on Trump and his outrageous campaign.

And one more:    ShrinkRap is right there among all the rest -- unable not to write about The Donald's latest thing he said.   Five of my eight posts in the past week have been about him.   Several times, I've thought:   the only way to make him stop is to ignore him.   I just haven't been able to do that.    But I'll keep trying, and you'll know when I succeed:   there won't be any posts about Trump.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment