Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Once upon a time, there were Republicans like this

Once upon a time, there were Republicans I might disagree with but were worthy of respect.  Do you wonder, as I do, where they are hiding now?   Here's something that Andy Katz wrote for DailyKos about his father:

"Ten Things My Conservative Father Believed"
". . . [D]uring this season of political insanity, I often consider what my Father would think about about today’s Republican party and its race for its presidential nomination.  You see, my Father was a proud Republican, “Goldwater conservative.”  As an owner of a small business, my Father was a true believer in limited government, low taxes, the free market system and the profit motive as a force for good.  Yet, I can easily think of 10 things my Father believed that are considered blasphemous in the Republican Party today.
 
"1.  My father believed that Americans should respect the office of the President of the United States and its occupant regardless of his or her political party.  

"2.  My Father believed that racism is wrong. 

"3.  My Father believed that politicians should not lie.

"4.  My Father believed that immigration is good for our country because immigrants come to the US in search of a better life, work hard when they get here and want nothing more than to have their children enjoy the benefit our society offers its citizens.

"5.  My Father believed that the First Amendment protected the religious rights of minority faiths and opposed all religious discrimination.

"6.  My father believed in limited government and also believed that that concept should be applied to the regulation of personal behavior.  In short, my father was pro-choice.

"7.  My Father believed that the government had a role in protecting the environment. 

"8.  My Father believed in reasonable gun control. 

"9.  My Father believed in equality between the sexes.

"10.  My Father believed that right and wrong did not change depending on the party affiliation of the actor whose conduct is in question."
*     *     *
Andy Katz is right.    Those ten beliefs weren't the way we defined the differences between Democrats and Republicans.   Those used to be non-partisan beliefs.

I suppose, if candidates for the Democratic presidential nomination were saying things comparably outrageous to what we hear from the Republican politicians, I too would be hiding.    But isn't there some courageous proud Republican of the old persuasion who will speak up for those people who -- in my opinion -- might be wrong about some things but not on these issues that are basic to American values?

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment