Monday, January 15, 2018

Martin Luther King, Jr., 1929-1968

Today is the official national holiday, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which is observed on the third Monday in January each year -- and which this year falls on his actual birthday, January 15th.

Fifty years after his assassination (yes, it was April 4, 1968), what is there left to say that might be new or have a different slant?   Perhaps nothing.   But I am particularly mindful today of how far our country has strayed from King's dedication to bringing truth and justice to all people.

In a way I had not thought of until now, Donald J. Trump is a sort of anti-MLK.   Trump is basically a "me-first" guy, extending that to "my family," "my wealth," "my country," and "my kind of people."

That's what I'm going to reflect on today and on redoubling efforts to elect those who better fit the image of a moral leader that Dr. King left for us.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment