Monday, February 4, 2019

Those damned, annoying robocalls

Bloomberg BusinessWeek reports that in 2018 there was an almost 50% increase in the number of automatic phone calls -- pushing products, scams, political messages, contribution appeals, as well as apparently legitimate business offers.

Don't be fooled by those calls that claim to be the IRS or the FBI, claiming that you have failed to [whatever] and that legal action will be taken if you don't call immediately.    These agencies do not make such calls;  it's a scam of identity theft  trying to get you to reveal your social security number, thinking you're talking to a government agent.

The report claims that U.S. phone-owners get more than 26 billion robocalls per year, up from half that number a year earlier.

Personally, I sometimes get eight or ten in one day.    So I've adopted the policy of not answering my phone unless I recognize the number or name in my Caller-ID.   I figure if it is a legitimate call from someone who knows me, they will leave a message -- and I can immediately return it.

So, if you have a defensible reason for calling me, leave a message.   If I'm there listening, I'll pick up;  if not, I'll call back as soon as I hear the message.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment