Monday, June 10, 2019

What to do about Trump?

Here's my dilemma.   Donald Trump's presence is ubiquitous . . . and negative.   He trashes our allies (unless they give him a royal state visit) and praises our most villainous enemies.

But he does make news.   He is a master at grabbing attention -- for himself.

So, as a half-hearted news blogger, do I let him hog my news tooOr do I, as I often want to do, ignore him?   One thought is that nothing could hurt him more than if we all ignored him.

But then, if we don't express the outrage, the embarrassment, the scorn, are we not contributing to his "normalizing" all this bad behavior, alienating our allies,  destroying our traditions, wrecking our institutions, undermining our democracy?

I'm not sure our institutions will survive another 18 months of this Trump presidency-by-insult, by threat, and by temper tantrum.    I'm pretty darn certain they won't survive another term.

And I'm not at all confident that voters will turn him out of office in November 2020 -- especially if he starts a war, the ace-up-the-sleeve of the tyrant about to be defeated at the polls.

I'm not always this pessimistic.   Maybe my outrage will kick in again soon.  It helps a little that the Democratic candidates are beginning to go after him -- and he's not going to win in this fight with Nancy Pelosi.

Ralph


No comments:

Post a Comment