Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

While the pumpkin pie finishes up in the oven, and I'm waiting to join the rest of our family at my daughter's home, I'm thinking about being thankful.

Today, for one day at least, I want to focus on the positive. Friend Mickey Nardo wrote his thanksgiving message about the success that's beginning to accrue in the AIDS epidemic in Africa. And I had to admit that this is one place George Bush deserves some credit for a positive contribution -- pushing for funds for treating AIDS in Africa.

Then I even had to admit that there is one thing I can find to thank Dick Cheney for: his support of his lesbian daughter's relationship, her pregnancies, and her right to marry.

On our side of the aisle on this Thanksgiving Day, I'd like to acknowledge the American People. True, there are the many groups and fringes whose positions and actions I deplore. But the American People, by a clear majority vote, rose up and elected Barack Obama president at a time when an inspirational, intelligent, balanced, thoughtful, and caring leader was most needed.

He wanted to change the way governing is done in Washington, and right now that's what he's having most trouble with. But give him credit for trying -- even though many of us are wishing that he could/would follow through on what we, and he, had hoped for.

And this seems a simple thing to recognize that I'm grateful for, but it has vast importance throughout the world: I am thankful to have a president who can open his mouth without making me cringe and whose beautiful mind, so well expressed, often makes me very proud.

May he keep safe and govern wisely within the constraints our dysfunctional system allows, and may we reap the benefits of the leadership he is capable of.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment