Saturday, February 20, 2010

CPAP presidential straw poll

I'm surprised, too, at how much I'm following the happenings at the Conservative Political Action Conference. I expected to ignore it. Yet headlines keep leaping out at me.

The results of their straw poll of presidential hopefuls are just out, and I must admit I'm surprised. Of course we have to remember this is not the same as the Tea Party crowd. Still, most of what has happened there so far echoes people catering to the right fringe.

So now the poll results:
Ron Paul 31%
Mitt Romney 22%
Sarah Palin 7%
Tim Pawlenty 6%
Undecided 6%
Newt Gingrich 4%
Mike Huckabee 4%

Sarah Palin a distant third at 7% -- and only 1% ahead of Tim Pawlenty -- and Undecided ??? And Newt and Huckabee tied at only 4%?

This is not an overall poll of the people. This is people attending the CPAC. I am more than surprised. I'm astounded. There's a strong libertarian segment (Paul) and next a more maintstream Republican segment (Romney and Pawlenty). The fringes are distant also-runs (Palin, Huckabee, etc.)

I guess the lesson is: being a publicity darling isn't the same as having your conservative politicians supporting you.

Ralph

2 comments:

  1. Sam Stein now reports that Ron Paul has an almost cult-like following with a high attendance at such meetings, resulting in giving him a boost in such straw polls.

    In fact, when the results of the CPAC poll were announced to the conference, there was heavy booing.

    Also noted: Bobby Jindall, who got 14% at this time in 2007, was not even in the poll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure where you're getting your information, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent info I was looking for this information for my mission.

    Here is my web-site: wifi versterker

    ReplyDelete