Saturday, March 27, 2010

News for Gen. Conway

On the same day that the Department of Defense announced a modification of DADT criteria under which service members could be discharged while the process for it's elimination is being studied, the Marine Commander let his opposition to the repeal of DADT be known.

Gen. James Conway, is the latest pushback by a small but vocal faction of senior military leaders opposed to a repeal of the 1993 law known as "don't ask, don't tell."

Conway, a known opponent of repealing the law, suggested in an interview published Friday by Military.com that he already knows it would be a logistical hurdle. On base, Marines typically bunk two-to-a-room.

"I would not ask our Marines to live with someone who is homosexual if we can possibly avoid it," he said.

I have news for you, Gen. Conway, Sir. After seeing your picture and reading your comments, there's no way I would room with you either. My "unit morale and cohesion" would suffer terribly if I had to be your roommate.

You see, Sir, I have a bias against prejudice and contempt for someone you don't even know. It's true, you might find me looking at you in the shower -- but it would not be with lust. I might stand over your bed when you were sleeping, but I wouldn't be thinking of jumping in to cuddle up with you. No, Sir. That you don't have to worry about. I don't find you even minimally attractive. I have absolutely no desire to gaze on your naked body or to touch you. In fact, you give me the creeps.

All in all, I just don't think we'd be a very good match -- unless you were willing for us to get to know each other a bit before we judge. You might find that I'm a good soldier; I might find that you have a bit of humanity after all under that gruff macho facade. We might find we like the same sports teams or share an interest in opera. By the way, that doesn't make you gay.

And I can promise you one thing: Being gay is not catching. You don't have to fret about that.

Ralph, former Capt.(USAF-MC).

No comments:

Post a Comment