Wednesday, June 16, 2010

June 16th

Happy Bloomsday to All !!

"Bloomsday is being celebrated around the world today as fans come together to appreciate James Joyce's classic novel "Ulysses." The book, widely considered to be one of the greatest modern novels ever written, takes place over the span of just one day -- June 16, 1904 -- and follows the musings and adventures of two men living in Dublin, Leopold Bloom and Stephen Dedalus." [Huffington Post]

Celebrations will be held from Oslo to Buenes Aires to Sydney -- and even Alabama. But nothing listed on their web site for Atlanta.

Lest we forget what all the shouting is about, here's an excerpt from Molly Bloom's soliloquoy that ends the novel:


"... and how he kissed me under the Moorish wall and I thought well as well him as another and then I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and then he asked me would I yes to say yes my mountain flower and first I put my arms around him yes and drew him down to me so he could feel my breasts all perfume yes and his heart was going like mad and yes I said yes I will Yes."


Ralph

2 comments:

  1. I confess I never have read Joyce, but I did as a young teen pore over "The Family of Man" where I was knocked out by an excerpt of these words which if I recall accompany a photo of a pair of lovers on a blanket in the grass under a tree. Truly some of the most lovely English language ever written! And I'm imagining it was a gorgeous and satisfying way to end the novel.

    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for leaving a comment, Barbara. Joyce's Ulysses is a hefty book (in both senses), and it isn't an easy read. There is some gorgeous language, it's a modern parallel story to Homer's Odyssey, and Joyce is a master of allusions (in seven languages) and puns ("when we were Jung and easily Freudened" -- that's from Finnegan's Wake, even more difficult to read).

    ReplyDelete