Sunday, April 24, 2011

Inner curmudgeon # 3

My inner curmudgeon's rant for today is this:
When I am in line at the grocery store, I do not want the cashier to ask, as my total mounts: "Do you want to give a dollar to the March of Dimes?" Or "Would you like to make a contribution to help save the Amazon rain forests?"
The answer, from me, is always going to be "No."

I have nothing against the March of Dimes or the saving the planet. I write checks to many non-profit, good-works groups. But I want to make my own choices -- and I hate the coercion of this increasingly common method that forces people to give -- or to say no for all in line behind you to hear.

No doubt it's effective, and those one-dollars add up. Many people find it hard to say no. I took my first step in not-giving years ago, when I began ignoring the Salvation Army bell ringers outside shopping malls. But that was because of the Salvation Army's anti-gay policies.

But now it's the contrarian in me -- the curmudgeon -- that makes me say no -- even if it's the same cause that I will write a generous check for next month.

It hasn't quite reached the level yet that I'm going to stop by the manager's office and tell them about my negative reaction. But I think about it; and, if this new trend doesn't stop, I will.

Bah humbug !!

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment