Friday, September 30, 2011

Inner curmudgeon #10

My inner curmudgeon reared its head today at lunch. Seems like this often occurs at lunch. Well, maybe that's because I'm the Curmudgeon of Sandy Springs, and I usually go out to lunch somewhere in Sandy Springs, where I live and have to keep up my title.

Today, I'm sitting there eating my pear and gorgonzola salad (with pistachios and cranberries -- very good, which is why I go there) when a scantily dressed woman pranced by and sat at the table next to me. I felt an instant repulsion and wanted to say to her, "Honey, why don't you go home and put some clothes on. It's almost the end of September, and fall is officially here."

Now this was no ordinary young thing, eager to show off her sexy charms. Well, this was no young thing, even though she seemed desperate to appear young; and she probably thought she was showing off sexy charms. She was mistaken.

Alas, there were no sexy charms in evidence and not a trace of youthfulness -- except for the inappropriate clothes. But then I just admitted in my last post to being a prejudiced age-ist. And maybe I'm just too old to notice sexy charms.

This woman had to be at least 6o, if not more. Now I have seen many women that age, and much older, who are beautiful. She was not one of them. She was wearing a halter top that barely contained the things those things are supposed to contain. And she was wearing short-shorts. I mean sho' 'nuf shortie shorts -- the kind you expect to see on a Hooter's waitress. Well, let me just say that they did not seem appropriate for the time and place nor for this woman's body.

I admit, she was remarkably trim, if somewhat misshapen, but all that wrinkled skin and frizzy, bottle-blond hair on display at mid-day in public -- it gave me the creeps. And then a youngish man, who might have been her son but most likely was a "kept" boy toy, came and joined her.

It was not a pretty sight. And I had to suppress my inner curmudgeon, who had the impulse to tell her what I was thinking: Act your age, woman !! Or at least be more attractive when you display so much skin.

On the beach in July, you'd look slightly ridiculous. Lunching in Sandy Springs in late September, you actually looked pathetic.

I know I sound very very judgmental. But that's my privilege as a curmudgeon, isn't it?

Bah humbug !!

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment