Thursday, March 7, 2013

Big Brother is watching . . .

I've read about the data-mining function of the internet, which lets companies know your interests and tastes so they can individualize ads for you.

Well, today, I experienced that first hand.   I've been online shopping for a duvet cover for my bed.   Yesterday I visited the Nordstrom's web site and clicked on one particular design to look at more carefully.

Just a few hours later, I was reading Ezra Klein's "Wonkblog" web site about Paul Ryan's latest budget proposal to eliminate the deficit.   And there, right to the side of the screen, was a Nordstrom ad for duvet covers -- the very one that I had looked at in the afternoon.

It was more amusing than troubling, really.   But when you think about the broader implications, we really are not in Kansas any more, Toto.  We are in Big Brotherland.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment