Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Baby prince


Kate

I never thought of myself as a Royalist.    I'm almost militantly egalitarian in beliefs and values, even if I don't personally go out and storm the barricades.

So maybe it's the Downton Abbey craze -- and I'm certainly immersed in that -- but I find myself genuinely delighted with this picture of the new prince, 3th in line for the English throne, and his attractive young parents.

Part of what makes it so delighful is the way William and Kate are reshaping the image of the royal family.  After decades of a rather remote monarch and the scandalous behavior of her children, it is refreshing to see a young couple living their lives as nearly ordinary as is possible for people this close to the throne.

Imaging previous generations of monarchs appearing by themselves, and dressed informally, as they leave the hospital the day after Kate gave birth to her baby.

I can only admire their realness, and I hope they will instill these values in their son.   It almost seems like another episode in Downton Abbey, with a new heir brought into that family struggling with tradition vs modernity.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment