Thursday, July 31, 2014

Clarification regarding Hamas

Having just read an article in the New York Times about important Arab leaders in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and Jordan remaining mostly silent about what's going on in Gaza because of their strong dislike of Hamas, I wanted to clarify my position.

In what I have written over the past few weeks about the human tragedy taking place in Gaza, I have been clear that my sympathies are with the Palestinian people in Gaza.   This does not imply that I side with Hamas.   I also condemn their firing rockets into Israel.   But as in one of my first posts where I quoted Chris Hayes:   at some point it's not just what either side intends to do, but the actual results that also count.

And the suffering caused by Hamas on the Israeli people seems minor compared with the suffering that Israel's response is causing the Palestinian people.  In terms of civilian deaths, it is roughtly 1 to 300.    In both cases, it is the people -- not the governing and military forces, but the people -- that are my concern.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment