Thursday, January 15, 2015

My pride in my school was premature

In today's instant news spread by social networks, you may have seen that the decision, that gave me such pride in my alma mater for fostering an inclusion of its Muslim students by having the Friday call to prayer service sung from the Duke Chapel tower, has been reversed.

The vice president for public affairs issued this terse statement:
Duke remains committed to fostering an inclusive, tolerant and welcoming campus for all of its students.  However, it was clear that what was conceived as an effort to unify was not having the intended effect.”

I am shocked and embarrassed.   Not shocked that it won't happen.   I never expected it and was very happily surprised when I read about it last night.   Nor am I shocked to realize that the school is not as liberal as it seemed in 1950 to this boy from middle Georgia, steeped in the Southern fundamentalist wing of the Methodist church;  because through the years I have often been shocked at the conservatism I read in letters in the Alumni magazine any time Duke tries to do something liberal -- like hold the first gay wedding in the chapel.   This is, after all, North Carolina, which has been overtaken by conservative Republicans in recent years.

What I am shocked by is that this has been handled so badly -- and it makes me wonder how high up the clearance for this went and what powerful forces must have reversed the decision, if it had been cleared at the level of the university board of trustees, which it should have been.

The only explanation I have found so far is that Franklin Graham, son of evangelist Billy Graham and himself the head of the global aid non-profit Samantha's Purse, posted a scathing criticism on Facebook post that went viral.  In it, his often-expressed anti-Islamic vehemence led him to say some ugly things;  and he urged Duke alumni to withhold any further donations to the school.

Surely, if it had been cleared by the Trustees, they would not be swayed by the notoriously bigoted Franklin Graham (not a good chip off the old block).    Some very powerful alumni money must be involved.  Perhaps other wealthy donors as well.

To my Muslim friends, I apologize and have to tell you that I am embarrassed at this turn of events.   It does not change my feelings about my friends or my respect for the admirable parts of your religion.   What it changes is my feelings about Duke.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment