Saturday, May 16, 2015

The death penalty

When it comes to opposition to the death penalty, I can't improve on this brief article by noted blogger "digby" concerning the death sentence given to Boston bomber, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.
I cannot say I'm surprised that Tsarnaev got the death penalty.  After all, everyone on that Boston jury was pro-capital punishment.  It's hard to imagine that people who think capital punishment is a moral act would feel that this case, of all cases, didn't fit the criteria.  It was baked in the cake from the beginning.

I just wish I understood why anyone thinks that killing someone you have in custody makes any moral sense. I guess it's just simple revenge, not much more advanced than the crudest tribal retribution. For all of our legal rituals, we haven't come very far.

I just don't believe in it under any circumstances. Even for this guy. For anyone. How can more death be the right thing to do?
Yes it was a heinous act.  That's not the point.   What, except revenge, is to be gained by snuffing out another life?

Is killing for revenge ever a moral act?

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment