Saturday, May 9, 2015

Uh oh . . this isn't going to help Jeb

Reported by the Washington Post's Robert Costa and Matea Gold:

"After spending months distancing himself from his family’s political legacy, Jeb Bush surprised a group of Manhattan financiers this week by naming his brother, former president George W. Bush, as his most influential counselor on U.S.-Israel policy.

“'If you want to know who I listen to for advice, it’s him,' Bush said Tuesday, speaking to a crowd of high-powered investors at the Metropolitan Club . . . . The remark came as part of an answer to a question about Bush’s political aides and their policy views . . . ."
Now this may have been an anticipated question and a considered answer, because George W. was a strong supporter of Israel.    But I'm not sure that it's a good idea to associate himself with his brother's policies at all.    Remember what he said in his February speech:
“I love my brother. I love my dad.   I admire their service to the nation and the difficult decisions that they had to make. But I am my own man, and my views are shaped by my own thinking and my own experiences.”
Jeb isn't exactly setting the political world on fire, despite his capacity to raise huge amounts of money.     And he continues to seem like a bumbler -- one step away from a "47%" moment.

To acknowledge taking your Mideast advice from the man who led us into the Iraq quagmire on false pretenses does not seem very smart.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment