Sunday, August 16, 2015

Deomcrat takes Republican seat in state House

Democrat Taylor Bennett made the national news on Tuesday when he won the runoff race for the traditionally Republican Georgia House District 80 in the more affluent northern Atlanta suburbs.
Taylor BennettPolitically, I shouldn't live where I live -- Sandy Springs, just outside the perimeter highway that defines the suburbs of Atlanta.  My congressman, my representatives in both the state house and senate, and my mayor are all republicans -- as are our two U. S. senators.  When partisan issues are voted on, I am in a very small minority of progressives. 

So, with great pride I welcome my new state representative, the 29 year old lawyer, and progressive Democrat, Taylor Bennett.  With a very small turnout for the runoff (total vote of 677),** Taylor won by a 56% to 43% margin over Republican Max Davis to replace the former Republican office holder who resigned to accept a judgeship.

Davis outspent Bennett by 2 to 1 -- but Bennett ran a terrific campaign.  One of his main issues was opposition to the "religious freedom restoration act" that will come again in the next legislative session.   And he quite openly acknowledged both his mother and sister who are gay, and his opposition to any form of discrimination.

More significant than his progressive policy positions, Bennett's election gives the minority Democrats the vote needed to prevent Republicans from having the two-thirds super-majority that is required to advance amendments to the state constitution.

Welcome, Taylor.  You have my support for a future political career in the progressive movement in Georgia.

Ralph 
**  Correction:  I got this figure from a neighborhood newspaper, which must have been referring to a subdistrict total;  the total runoff vote was about 6,000.

No comments:

Post a Comment