Sunday, March 6, 2016

Gov. Deal finally did something I approve

I have been very critical of Georgia's Governor Nathan Deal on numerous occasions:  his refusal to expand Medicaid, his shady ethical dealings and attempts to manipulate the ethics commission, trying to take over control of education away from the School Board, and his shameless anti-gay pandering in his first gubernatorial campaign.   His promotion of business in Georgia could be a good thing -- except that he can always find room to cut taxes for them or to give all kinds of financial advantage to attract business but can't find a similar amount of money to expand Medicaid for 400,000 Georgians because . . . "Obamacare."

 But, if I complain when I disagree with him, I should be willing to praise him when he does something good.  On Friday, he did something good by coming out strongly against the "religious freedom bill" as it was passed by the Georgia Senate and awaits consideration of the Senate version by the House.  When pressed, he said he would veto it if it reached his desk in its present form.

I would like it even better if he had done it simply because opposing discrimination is the right thing to do;   but, even though he clearly did it only because of the backlash and lobbying from the business communityhe still did it.   And I thank him for that.
 
Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment