Friday, October 21, 2016

The day after the debate

1.   On Thursday, Trump doubled down on his refusal to concede, using a mocking tone to tell the Ohio crowd at his rally:  "Ladies and gentleman, I wanna make a major announcement today.  I would like to promise and pledge, to all of my voters and supporters and to all of the people of the United States, that I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election. . . . If I win.”  Later in his speech he did say that he would “accept a clear election result, but I would reserve my legal right to challenge” a questionable outcome.

2.   As of midnight Wednesday, House Speaker Paul Ryan and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell have maintained an eerie silence on the subject of Trump's shocking declaration last night.  An RNC spokesman has said the party would accept the election results, even if the candidate does not.

3.  Conservative author, radio talk host, contributor to Fox News Laura Ingraham tweeted out, even before the debate was over:  "He should have said he would accept the results of the election.  There is no other option unless we're in a recount again."

4.  Here's John McCain:   "I didn't like the outcome of the 2008 election.   But I had a duty to concede, and I did so without reluctance.  A concession isn't just an exercise in graciousness.   It is an act of respect for the will of the American people, a respect that is every American leader's first responsibility."

5.  From Harry Potter creator, J. K. Rowling:  "Well, there you have it. A highly intelligent, experienced woman just debated a giant orange Twitter egg. Your move, America."

6.   My favorite comes from Trump supporter, Maine's Republican governor Paul LePage, described by Politico as "pugnacious, hot-headed, and occasionally vulgar."  He matches Trump in racist, anti-immigrant, authoritarianism;  and even outdoes him in openly vulgar expressions, saying on television that the state NAACP should "kiss my butt."  LePage's advise to his buddy, Trump:  “It’s a stupid comment. I mean, come on, get over yourself. . . Donald, take your licks, and let’s move on.”

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment