Monday, September 3, 2018

What does Labor Day signify any more?

It used to be that Labor Day was a recognition of the important contribution of the working people of this country.    With the decline of the power of labor unions -- brought about by several factors, including several changes in law, as well as other factors -- we hardly know what to do with ourselves on Labor Day.

There don't seem to be any parades, any festivals, any observances at all -- beyond a few local picnics, which people organize on summer weekends without any special day to celebrate.

But just look at the ever-increasing economic gap between workers' wages and the wealth accruing to the owners in this so-called booming economy.    It's the corporate officers and the stockholders that are benefiting -- not the workers.  We need strong labor unions as much as ever.

So, no, there is really nothing to celebrate on today's Labor Day.   Perhaps we should observe it by wrapping factories and construction sites in black crepe paper (or black toilet paper, if you can find it).


*    *     *
Honestly, I opened up my computer to write my farewell for ShrinkRap.   I had made the decision not to resume daily blogging.   After 10 years of daily posting, I have enjoyed the freedom from that "responsibility I took on."

Even if I hadn't had the medical problem going on, I needed a respite from the daily "labor" of trying to convey an understanding of the day's news stories, particularly it's political news.

And, by the way, for those interested:   I did have the aortic valve replacement, using the new TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement) process.  If anyone wants to know more about that, see a brief description below.

As soon as my fingers hit the keyboard, and I began to realize it was Labor Day, I decided to say something about that --- and then it felt like I was off to the races again.

Truth be told:   I'm awfully conflicted about this.    I enjoyed the freedom from the time-consuming consumption of the news so as to present a coherent, clarifying picture.  I also like "having my say."

So here's what my interim solution is.    OK.    I won't quit altogether.   At least for a while, I'll try writing it on a less that daily basis.    That's been hard for me to do, because I fall into obsessive routines so easily;  but I'll give it a try.    I already have something for tomorrow -- a reprint of an article by Jeffrey Toobin in The New Yorker that previews a new book based on a research comparison of the fate of "fake news" in liberal vs conservative news channels.

So, instead of "goodbye," I'm saying "not quite yet." 

Ralph
___________________

TAVR:  The artificial valve is contrived out of a collapsible wire. stent-like mesh -- with cusps from a cow valve attached -- and is inserted in the femoral artery in the groin and pushed up into the midst of the narrowed valve opening in the aortic valve.

A balloon on the catheter is inflated, expanding the artificial valve, which in turn pushed the old, calcified valve flaps back against the artery wall.   The balloon is deflated, the catheter removed, and the artificial valve begins functioning all on its own.   It's Magic !!!    No, it's just Modern Medicine.   And I am grateful to be living in a time when I can benefit from such technological advances.

No comments:

Post a Comment